Keith Brown's season boiled down to a one-on-one battle with North Salem's Antonio Garcia.

The Lebanon sophomore dropped both regular-season matchups to Garcia, but won a hard-fought victory when they faced off in the finals of the Mid-Willamette Conference district championship.

Inevitably, Brown and Garcia advanced through their draws and met in the 5A 220-pound championship match on Saturday night at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Fittingly, regular wasn't enough and the match went to triple overtime before Garcia claimed the 3-2 decision. Brown, who was the top seed in the bracket, ends the year with a mark of 47-4.

Brown won his first three matches at the tournament with first-period falls. He pinned his semifinal opponent, Quincy Cleveland of Scappoose, in 35 seconds.

Lebanon senior Chase Miller was the No. 2 seed at 160 pounds. He pinned his first two opponents before winning a 6-3 decision over Hillsboro's Nick Peterson in the semifinals.

In the final, Miller fell 8-0 to Thurston's Austin Watson.

Watson was a defending state champion and spent most of the year competing at 170 pounds, making him a formidable opponent in the final.

"He was pretty good," Miller said.

Despite the loss, Miller was proud of reaching the final.

"It's pretty cool to make it through," Miller said. 

He thanked his coaches and teammates for pushing him throughout the season and helping him reach his potential.

"Without them, I don't think I get there," Miller said.

The Warriors placed sixth in the 5A team points race, falling short of their bid for a top-four finish. Crescent Valley won the 5A team title, with Dallas placing third and the Warriors sixth.

Lebanon coach Michael Cox said this is evidence of the strength of the Mid-Willamette Conference.

"I felt like we wrestled pretty well," Cox said.

Some misfortune hurt the Warriors' chances. Senior Wyatt Richardson, the No. 2 seed at 126 pounds, won his first match by fall. In his second-round match, he suffered a concussion and was knocked out of the tournament.

"He really wanted to keep wrestling, but the doctors wouldn't let him, and they shouldn't have," Cox said. "That cost us a lot of team points, but more than that he's a senior and he's been wrestling since kindergarten."

The Warriors had two wrestlers reach the third-place match. Andy Vandetta was pinned by Crater's Tanner Ulrey at 120 pounds.

At 182 pounds, senior Lane Blisseck lost the third-place match to Ashland's Trevor Fulton. The seventh-seeded Fulton had previously upset No. 2 Blisseck in the quarterfinals.

"Our style didn't match up well with them," Cox said of the matchup.

Lebanon junior Rian Howard took fifth place, defeating Redmond's Kagen Lawrence, 12-4. Howard had lost to Lawrence, 7-4, in the quarterfinals before winning the rematch.

Junior Tucker Drummond placed sixth. He fell to top-seeded Bryant Smith of Milwaukie in the opening round then fought his way back with three consecutive victories. 

Drummond fell in the consolation semifinals and then lost to Chris Chambers, the No. 3 seed from Pendleton, in the fifth-place match.


Load comments