Australian lawmaker says he isn't a suspect in China probe
AP

Australian lawmaker says he isn't a suspect in China probe

  • Updated
  • 0
Australian lawmaker says he isn't a suspect in China probe

New South Wales state opposition lawmaker Shaoquett Moselmane arrives at his home in Sydney, Australia June 26, 2020. Moselmane said on Monday, June 29 he was not a suspect in a police investigation into unnamed people advancing China’s goals in Australia, days after his home and office were searched by police.

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — An Australian state lawmaker said Monday that he was not a suspect in a police investigation into unnamed people advancing China’s goals in Australia, days after his home and office were searched by police.

Shaoquett Moselmane, a member of the opposition Labor Party from New South Wales, said he was told the investigation was looking into other people suspected of working with China and denied any wrongdoing.

“I have never jeopardized the welfare of our country and our people,” he told a news conference.

Police have not said why they searched Moselmane's Sydney home on Friday and also executed a warrant for his parliamentary offices.

Australia has accused China of seeking to interfere in its domestic politics, allegations that have strained relations and led Australia in 2018 to pass new national security laws that outlaw covert foreign interference in domestic politics and make industrial espionage for a foreign power a crime.

The raids are the first police investigation to grab public attention since the foreign interference laws came into force and the government bolstered funding to security agencies late last year to enforce them.

Moselmane said Monday that he would cooperate with Australian Federal Police in their investigation but also exercise his right to remain silent.

“I am under no illusion that this is a serious investigation,” he said.

Moselmane denied media reports that he had accepted Chinese government-funded trips to China.

In April, he stood down as assistant president of the New South Wales upper house after praising Chinese President Xi Jinping’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. He said Xi had demonstrated “unswerving leadership” and decisiveness.

Moselmane said Monday that his views on China’s handling of the pandemic were consistent with those of the U.S. president, vice president and the World Health Organization.

Police declined to comment on Moselmane’s news conference, saying in a statement, “As this investigation remains ongoing, there will be no further comment.”

Labor Party state leader Jodi McKay said Moselmane’s party membership was being suspended. Moselmane said he would take leave from Parliament until the police investigation was complete.

The Chinese Communist Party-controlled Global Times newspaper on Monday accused Australia of “waging an intensifying espionage campaign against China.”

The newspaper cited a Chinese law enforcement agency source as saying Australia was sending agents to China to spy, gather intelligence and “recruit assets.” Australia was described as “the thief who is crying stop the thief.”

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison declined to comment on the report.

“I wouldn’t be relying on Chinese state media for your sources for questions,” Morrison told a reporter who asked him about the Global Times allegations.

Morrison described the raids on Moselmane as a “very serious issue” for police and for the Australian Security Intelligence Organization, the nation's main domestic secret service.

“We introduced our foreign interference laws because we didn’t want Australia’s political system or any other part of the country to be interfered with,” Morrison said.

Morrison described Moselmane, a 55-year-old Lebanese immigrant who was mayor of a Sydney municipality before he was elected to Parliament in 2009, as a “very, very long-standing and relatively senior person” within the Labor Party.

The secret service, best known as ASIO, confirmed in a statement that “search warrant activity occurred in Sydney on Friday as part of an ongoing investigation,” but would not comment on Moselmane or its involvement.

Less than two weeks ago, Morrison said that a “sophisticated state-based cyber actor” was targeting Australia in an escalating cyber campaign that was threatening all levels of government, businesses, essential services and critical infrastructure.

Most analysts said Morrison was referring to China, but the prime minister would not name the country.

Already high tensions between Australia and China have been raised by the pandemic.

China in recent weeks has banned beef exports from Australia’s largest abattoirs, ended trade in Australian barley with a tariff wall and warned its citizens against visiting Australia. The measures have been interpreted by many as punishment for Australia’s advocacy of an independent probe into the origins and spread of the coronavirus.

Australia’s foreign minister has accused China of using the anxiety around the pandemic to undermine Western democracies by spreading disinformation online, prompting China to accuse Australia of disinformation.

———

This story has been corrected to show that the secret service is the Australian Security Intelligence Organization, not the Australian Security Intelligence Agency.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

CAIRO (AP) — Russian and other foreign mercenaries have entered Libya’s largest oil field, the country's National Oil Corporation said on Friday, describing the development as an attempt to thwart the resumption of halted oil production in the war-torn country.

  • Updated

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union is edging toward finalizing a list of countries whose citizens will be allowed to enter Europe again in coming days, with Americans almost certain to be excluded in the short term due to the number of U.S. coronavirus cases.

  • Updated

NEW DELHI (AP) — Indian TikTok users awoke Tuesday to a notice from the popular short-video app saying their data would be transferred to an Irish subsidiary, a response to India's ban on dozens of Chinese apps amid a military standoff between the two countries.

  • Updated

BERLIN (AP) — Germany, the European Union’s biggest economic power, is taking over the rotating presidency of the 27-nation bloc amid massive challenges and huge expectations as the continent grapples with the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic. Berlin's six months in the EU hot seat will likely be Chancellor Angela Merkel’s last big turn on the international stage.

  • Updated

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union will reopen its borders to travelers from 14 countries, and possibly China soon, the bloc announced Tuesday, but most Americans have been refused entry for at least another two weeks due to soaring coronavirus infections in the U.S.

  • Updated

PARIS (AP) — French cosmetics giant L’Oreal said Saturday that it will remove words like “whitening” from its skin care products, a move that comes amid global protests against racism sparked by the death of George Floyd in the United States.

  • Updated

BEIJING (AP) — The United States, Japan and France are prodding their companies to rely less on China to make the world’s smartphones, drugs and other products. But even after the coronavirus derailed trade, few want to leave China's skilled workforce and efficient suppliers of raw materials to move to other countries.

  • Updated

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistan’s aviation authorities on Friday fired five officials implicated in a scandal over licenses obtained by pilots who had had others take their exams, the latest in shocking revelations following last month's Airbus A320 crash in Karachi.

  • Updated

BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union will reopen its borders to travelers from 14 countries, and possibly China soon, the bloc announced Tuesday, but most Americans have been refused entry for at least another two weeks due to soaring coronavirus infections in the U.S.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News