U.S. Congressman Peter DeFazio (D-Springfield) and the Department of Veterans Affairs have arranged a series of registration events for the VA’s new online eBenefit service.
EBenefits allows veterans to monitor their VA benefits, check on the status of claims, and print out documents such as disability letters.
Veterans wishing to sign up for this service must do so in person. Currently, veterans are required to travel to the Portland VA Regional Office to register.
DeFazio worked with the VA to set up the events in southwestern Oregon so interested veterans would not need to make the trip to Portland.
Veterans must bring two forms of ID to sign up for the service, such as: driver's license, Social Security card, passport, birth certificate, DD214, Department of Defense ID card or VA ID card. The VA ID card is not considered photo ID, but will be considered as second ID.
The VA and DeFazio’s staff will be on hand at each event.
For more information, interested veterans and families may call DeFazio’s office at 1-800-944-9603 or visit his website at www.defazio.house.gov.
The remaining schedule is below:
Today, June 29:
• From noon to 2 p.m. in Roseburg, Douglas County Library, Ford Community Room, 1409 NE Diamond Blvd.
• In Eugene 4 to 7 p.m., at the South Eugene High School Cafeteria, 400 East 19th Ave.
Tomorrow, June 30:
• In Lebanon, from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the Boys & Girls Club, 305 S. Fifth St.
• In Albany, from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Linn County Fair & Expo Center, 3700 Knox Butte Road E.
• In Corvallis, 2:30 to 4 p.m. at the Chintimini Senior Center, 2601 NW Tyler Ave.