Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Wildfire assistance resources (Sept. 17)

Wildfire assistance resources (Sept. 17)

  • 0
091520-adh-nws-Linn County evacuation Center02-my

Ashley Campbell, 15, of Millersburg volunteers with her mother, Amy Campbell, in the donation area of the  evacuation center at the Linn County Fair & Expo Center. 

Here is a list of resources for people who have been displaced by wildfires in our area and people who want to donate money, goods or services to help:

American Red Cross and Federal Emergency Management Agency support for fire evacuees: Benton County Fairgrounds, 110 SW 53rd St., Corvallis; Linn County Expo Center, 3700 Knox Butte Road E., Albany. Anyone impacted by the wildfires and in need of support can go directly to the closest location or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.

Apply for federal disaster assistance: State and federal officials are encouraging Oregon residents affected by the wildfires and straight-line winds to register for disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency as soon as possible. FEMA's Individual Assistance program for survivors has been made available in Linn, Marion and other counties. Assistance may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster. Register at 800-621-3362, or the FEMA app. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration are available to homeowners, renters and businesses. Information: 800-659-2955 or Public assistance for emergency work and repair of replacement of disaster-damaged facilities has been made available to counties including Benton, Linn and Marion. All areas are eligible to apply for Hazard Mitigation assistance. Visit for more information.

Benton County Wildfire Response: Visit for resources for wildfire victims and for those who wish to help them.

Crisis counseling: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters. Call the Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to speak to a trained crisis counselor.

Displaced animal database: Thousands of Oregonians, their livestock and their other animals are displaced following the devastating wildfires. Many shelters, private groups and citizens are now housing these animals, some of which do not have known owners. While some of these groups are advertising lost animals on their websites or social media, it can be difficult for the public to know where to look. The Oregon Department of Agriculture has created an online database and website to help. The ODA Animal Tracker,, is meant to assist Oregonians looking for animals displaced during the wildfires. This tracker is not intended to replace existing systems already in place at county animal shelters. In order to make the database work, animal shelters, private citizens and groups caring for animals without known owners can email ODA with information and photos. That information will be added to the database and continuously updated. Therefore, owners are asked to visit often if they don’t see their animals listed. If you are caring for animals without a known owner, you can have the animals listed by emailing ODA at The email must include the following information: shelter name and location; shelter phone number; shelter email address; location where animal was found (as much detail as known); species; color; sex; and picture(s) of animals. Livestock photos should show left side, right side, face/head and identifying marks such as brands, scars or ear tags. Pet photos should show the left side, right, face/head and back. If the shelter, citizen or group does not have the means to collect and email this information, call ODA’s Brand Inspection program at 503-986-4685 to request help. It is important to remember that it against the law to keep found livestock. If assistance is needed to verify ownership of livestock, call ODA to request the assistance of the local brand inspector (503-986-4685). County shelter links can also be found on the ODA Animal Tracker for owners to search. County shelters will be responsible for ensuring ownership of animals discharged from their shelter.

Distribution of items to evacuees: Items for wildfire evacuees are available at the Benton County Fairgrounds, 110 SW 53rd St., Corvallis.

Donate or volunteer to help evacuees: Visit

Donation site closed: The donation site for wildfire relief supplies at the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library closed as of Monday. Within the first two days of the site being opened, the county had reached capacity on certain donated items, such as pet food and hay. Donations are being sorted, inventoried and transported to the Benton County Fairgrounds, where a distribution site is open to all wildfire evacuees.

Donations for victims: One way way to support fire-stricken communities is to provide financial donations to relief organizations actively responding to these disasters. For verified disaster relief organizations, refer to Oregon Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster at

Donations for victims: Those interested in helping those who have been displaced and severely impacted by the recent fires can contribute to the Linn County Wildland Fire Victims Fund. Contributions will be used for hotel vouchers and medical needs. Checks can be mailed to the fund in care of the Linn County Fair and Expo Center, 3700 Knox Butte Road E., Albany, OR 97322, or in care of the Linn County Treasurer, PO Box 100, Albany, OR 97321. Checks also can be dropped off at the expo center. Checks must include the words "Linn County."

Emotional support resources: The Oregon Behavioral Health Support Line is a free and confidential resource for all Oregonians who are looking for emotional support. Call 1-800-923-HELP (4357). You do not need to be in a mental health crisis to call this line. If you need or want help beyond what the line can provide, you will be connected to those services. This can include community-based services such as housing, food assistance or clinical services. Certified interpreters are also available for those who speak a language other than English. Through this number, you can also connect with Lines for Life (, a suicide prevention organization with specific resources for youth, military personnel and their families, and those affected by substance abuse problems.

Enroll in health coverage: Oregonians affected by the wildfires can use the federal emergency declaration by the Federal Emergency Management Agency to take advantage of an exceptional circumstances special enrollment period. Applications are being accepted at 800-318-2596 and The enrollment period could expire as early as Nov. 15.

Family engagement for wildfire evacuees: Around the Riverbend Events will host a princess and superhero show for wildfire evacuees at noon Friday in the floral courtyard of the Benton County Fairgrounds in Corvallis. The event is open to evacuees staying at the fairgrounds and local hotels.

Find and reunite loved ones: Oregon Emergency Management urges the public to update information on their status with the American Red Cross. Let loved ones know you are safe at the American Red Cross Safe and Well Website. State emergency managers encourage people affected by the fires, whether or not they have evacuated, to register on the site. It is a helpful tool that can bring relief to people looking for loved ones during these fires, and help inform search efforts. Visit

Food and water for wildfire victims: To donate food, water and other items, reach out to your local food pantry to see if they are able to receive donations. Find food pantries at

GoFundMe fundraisers for wildfire victims: More than 60 verified fundraisers have been started for Oregon residents affected by the fires. All of them have been added to GoFundMe's centralized hub:

Health and social services: Call 211 or visit to connect with health and social service organizations. These include child care resources, utility assistance, food resources, housing and shelter information and more.

Health Care Heroes Relief Fund: This fund supports Oregon hospital workers who are or become victims of the wildfires. All donations to the fund will be tax-deductible as allowed under law. To donate, visit

Information about donating, volunteering, packing and emergency response agency websites: Visit

Meals for evacuees: It’s On Us Corvallis is partnering with local restaurants, farmers and other producers to provide meals to displaced Oregon residents. Several local restaurant owners are showing community support to neighbors displaced by the fires. IOU is dedicated to reimbursing expenses to whatever extent possible, in an effort to help recoup some lost revenue from yet another economic blow. IOU is asking for donations to support the businesses and producers that participate in donating these meals to evacuees. Donations can be made at To stay up to date on meal distributions, follow It’s On Us Corvallis on social media.

Oregon Health Plan members: If you have health insurance under (OHP) and had to leave home quickly due to wildfires, leaving behind important medical equipment or prescriptions, there is a way to get those items replaced.  If you have any trouble replacing things like medical equipment, supplies or prescriptions, your coordinated care organization can help. You can find your CCO contact information at If you’re an OHP member with an open card, call Member Services at 800-273-0557.

Shelter for wildfire victims: The American Red Cross has temporary shelters available throughout Western Oregon. For a list of temporary shelters, go to website

Supplies for wildfire evacuees: The Vina Moses Center in Corvallis is distributing free clothing, cots, blankets, household goods and other items to people displaced by Oregon’s wildfires. The center, located at 968 NW Garfield Ave., will be open 9:30 a.m. to noon today through Friday for evacuees only. Evacuees and others in need can also make an appointment to come by between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. those days by calling 541-753-1420. To help people forced to leave their homes by wildfires, the center is also accepting donations of clothing, bedding, household goods and so forth, as well as monetary contributions. The cash will go to cover immediate needs such as gas, groceries, pet food and motel pet fees. Any leftover contributions will go to the center’s FISH program, which provides short-term assistance for local families at risk of becoming homeless. For additional information, see the organization’s website at

Wildfire response resource information:


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News