Palestine fire.jpg

Albany firefighters stop an attic blaze in a home at 5174 Palestine Ave. on Wednesday. Two residents and their dog were not injured. 

An attic sustained extensive damage in a house fire Wednesday morning in the 5100 block of Palestine Avenue in northwest Albany.

Firefighters from Albany and Adair Village responded to the scene at about 11 a.m.

“Both residents got out of the house without injury, along with their dog,” said Albany Fire Department spokeswoman Sandy Roberts. “They called 911.”

Albany sent three engines, one truck and a water tender and Adair sent a water tender.

“We thought we might have to pull water from Oak Grove, but we didn’t have to,” Roberts said. “We used water from the tender, plus foam.”

Roberts said the home, which is owned by the John and Rosemary Summers Trust, is insured. The residents were going to be housed in a motel for the night thanks to the Albany Firefighter Community Assistance Fund.

Roberts said the department has several fundraising events — including the annual golf tournament in July — and proceeds are used to help families in need.

“We carry money on every vehicle that we can use for worthy causes,” Roberts said. “It may be used for anything from putting someone up for the night to buying medication, clothing or food.”

Donations to the fund can be made at Albany Firefighter Assistance Fund, Station 11, 611 Lyon St., Albany, OR 97321.

“If people want to help, they can also participate in our annual golf tournament,” Roberts said. “This year’s tournament is going to be named in honor of Rick Rebel.”

Rebel was a longtime businessman and civic booster who died in December.

Contact Linn County reporter Alex Paul at 541-812-6114.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments